A couple weeks ago I embarked on a 10-day road trip from Wellington to Queenstown with friends. The first half of the trip started with an early ferry ride from Wellington to Picton. After lunch and picking up a rental car (upgraded for free – thanks Apex!), we headed on to:
- St Arnaud (Lake Rotoiti) for a night – in a classic NZ batch
- Punakaiki (Pancake rocks and blowhole) – which was much more impressive than I had expected, nestled in a West Coast valley with its own near-tropical microclimate
- one night in a tiny house (with an obligatory composting toilet) – unsurprisingly quite small for four people
- an afternoon and night in Maruia Hot Springs – experiencing a fancy person “wellness retreat” and delicious dinner, then
- over a nearly empty (and spectacular) Lewis Pass to Christchurch.
Part 2 of the trip to come soon.
©2020, The Alpine Wanderer. All Rights Reserved.